Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Job Cigarette Papers: The Chosen Poster


This is the original poster that I decided to change the mode of appeal for. It is the JOB Cigarette poster done by Alphonse Mucha in 1898. Back in 1898 people had to roll their own cigarettes (quite popular) and JOB manufactured high quality rice paper just for that purpose.
We decided that the poster was considered ethos due to the representation of the idealistic female form smoking. I was able to take the modes of appeal into either pathos or logos. After a long drawn out process of sketching I decided to go with logos. This is what I came up with.

The poster represents all of the different sizes of cigarette paper that are available to the consumer. I noticed that it isn't quite clear in the original (Mucha) poster as to what it is advertising, however the word "JOB" must have been relied on to reveal the identity of the product. I sort of took on this concept by not necessarily focusing on the obvious representation of the cigarette paper, and instead I relied on the logo to give it away. I also have copy that reads "high quality cigarette paper". The form of the numbers were inspired by the hand lettering on the small packages of cigarette paper (that JOB still sells today). The decorative forms in the corners are alluding to the rice plant, which is what the paper is derived from.I was extremely excited to be able to illustrate during this project, because I have been wanting to incorporate it into my design work. I went with a monochromatic color scheme that could be easily offset, to hopefully keep the vintage quality and feel. The contrast between the yellow and the black also adds interest and permits the numeric forms to pop out. The centralized layout is also appropriate to the time period that the original poster was made, and it relays a sense of sophistication and tradition.

this represents some of my final changes that I made to my poster, just to show how I kept track of what I needed to do. I would sketch out a diagram of the poster and draw onto it.

No comments: