Monday, November 9, 2009

Annotations: in-class work

In order to enhance my understanding of the communication model and to acquire some content I decided to write out my annotations. Here is what I came up with...

6 parts to the communication model: sender / noise / channel / message / receiver / feedback

Sender
Author-centered / information source / experimental form / personal expression / self-referential / communication skills / attitudes / knowledge / social system / culture / communicator

Receiver
Audience-centered / audience / interpretation / individually tailorable / open meanings / communications skills / attitudes / knowledge / social system / culture / communicator

Channel
Seeing / hearing / touching / smelling / tasting

Message
Process-centered / scientific / rational / form follows-function / fixed meaning / elements / context / treatments / structure / code

Noise
elements / culture / social systems / environment / context

Feedback
response / interpretation / environment / context

After summing up how all of the diagrams informed each element I started to break down the main parts.

Introductory Sentence...
"The examples used in this pamphlet are based off of an in-class study that explored the Communication Model firt hand. The conversation took place over a series of a few days and consisted of my partner (Katie, graphic design student at Kent State) and myself (Andrea, graphic design student at the Kansas City Art Institute). We were told to send a digital post-card that contained an object (in my case it was a park bench) accompanied by an intended message. The annotated accounts are too reference actual examples, to further accentuate comprehension of the communication model through context. "

Sender
the author / the information source / personal expression

"myself" consists of my knowledge, social system, culture, attitude, personal expression, and communication skills.

I am a 20 year old graphic design student in Jamie Gray's Visual Language II course at the Kansas City Art Institute.

Receiver
the audience / open meaning / personal interpretation

"who" my message is intended for. consists of their knowledge, social system, culture, attitude, personal expression, and communication skills.

Katie is a graphic design student in Professor Marty Maxwell Lanes Branding and Identity course at Kent state, OH.

Noise
elements that can damage or change the message.

Katie and I live in completely different environments and we were communicating across states. Anything from our class-mates talking to what was on our computer screens could have affected the intended message.

Channel
the mediums that the intended message travels through.

In Katie and I's case our channel was the computer. More specifically we communicating through on-line blogs and on-line comments. The postcards themselves were done through distinct channels that ranged from digital coloring to pen and ink illustration.

Message
the structure, code, and context of an intended meaning or thought.

my message was that there are all different sorts of park benches that are associated with different places and therefore different social classes are distinct to a certain bench. For example the ruling class is associated with the sophisticated beautiful bench, while the working class is associated with the rickety old bench. I illustrated different styles of park benches, and put them together on a digital post-card to communicate this message.

Feedback
the response that is given back and forth between sender and receiver

the feedback from Katie was successful in that she knew my message clearly and illustrated that back to me when she sent me another post-card that further enhanced my idea. She took my three pen and ink benches and put them in context with a place and colorized them. I then sent back another postcard that gave her feedback on her conclusion. Our feedback was both visual and textual. We left comments on each others blogs while sending each other post-cards.

I want to incorporate the metaphor of the housewife (sender) giving her husband (the receiver) the intended message (the meal). Noise can consist of temperature, taste, appearance, presentation etc. Feedback could consist of "oh honey, this looks delicious!" or "What the hell is this?".

No comments: