Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Type Experiments

Designer Biography




These are screen captures from a motion graphic piece by Mikon Van Gastel. Unfortunatly the AIGA Design Archives site didn't have the actual video :(. The video was done in 1997 and it looks like he is fragmenting the type in the same sort of manner that I am. It was really difficult for me to find something that like what I am doing. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, or not looking in the right places. Anyways...

"Mikon van Gastel, 32, is a New York-based Creative Director and co-founder of AVSO (A Very Small Office). Van Gastel brings to the design process an expertise in film, new media and architecture as well as openness to embrace new forms of collaboration and emerging technologies" -Serious Picture /AVSO

So, in a sense this guy is more of the "art director type". He seems to enjoy collaborating not only with other designers/directors but with different and innovative types of technology. I was looking at some or the more recent stuff on the AVSO website, and I have actually seen a lot of it on television. The animations and motion graphics are innovative and edgy, but they appeal to the mainstream of cable television. I think that it is amazing what he is doing, and how he is able reveal edgy work to the everyday television viewer. Here are all of his videos.

These are screen captures of the experiment that I conducted today. I cut all of the letter forms up into pieces and pulled away parts. The affect is nice. I started to create a stop-motion after I shot the photographs and I started to do some different frame rates as well. I tried 50 fps vs. 100 fps. It was also interesting to watch just one letter form throughout the animation. They can act on their own as well as together.



I started to do both analog trials and digital ones as well. Below are some screen shots to show how I am breaking down the letter forms. I am starting to sequence these frame by frame in flash.

These are some screen shots of the swf file. I tried to make it so that the entire word does not exist in one frame. The word is only a whole word when it is in motion.

No comments: