Thursday, February 25, 2010

Some Thought process: Fragmentation in Typography

The idea of fusion in context with my current type experiment is interesting to me. I realize that I could be working my type into the forms and characteristics of an image. I can start to match angles, misplace the text in a dimensional way. An image could contain a severe perspective, where I could start to play with the visibility of my text using depth of field. Some of the text could jump out at you in the foreground, while the other letter forms are more humble sitting in the background. This could also play into the importance and impact of certain words. What seems to be fading? What are we losing? I want to evoke these kinds of questions to the user.

This was part of my response to the type image message reading, and I have started to realize that I want to specifically comment on pop culture. I started to read rap lyrics out loud the other day as if they were poetry, and it was a disgusting experience. I have noticed that women are severely degraded, and I feel like women are falling into some sort of lyrical trap. These words that are heard all over the public radio about sex, drugs, and money are polluting our society.

I would like to contrast rap lyrics with love poetry. Here are a few phrases that I am starting to think about...I apologize for the vulgarity of some of them.

Yeah, she's fat in the ass, slim in the waist, kinda pretty and she down to take the shit in the face. -thanks lil wayne

But man I ain't never seen as ass like hers, that pussy in my mouth had me at loss for words. -lil wayne

you came to my life
with what you were bringing,
made of light and bread and shadow I expected you,
and like this I need you,
Like this I love you -Pablo Neruda

I am sure that your big eyes,
as when I kiss them,
will then close with pride
into double pride, love,
with your pride and my pride. -Pablo Neruda