Monday, January 24, 2011

My Career Goals

I like to try new things, but I have a fear of trying new things ( like transferring schools or interning at large agencies). I think that out of that fear though comes something I couldn't have known unless I did what I did. I enjoy finding my way around new situations, and getting to see myself grow as a designer and as a person.

I am excited by the idea of venturing outside of our studio walls. I can see myself either working at an ad agency, or even a small 4 person shop that specializes in a certain aspect of design. I had the chance to experience both worlds while interning, and I found a way to be comfortable at both levels. I do expect myself to stay in the Midwest, since I am very close to my family. This is home for me, however I wouldn't be opposed to moving away.

I do have a special interest in typography and illustration. My ultimate goal would be to experiment with both of these in my future career. I have looked into Hallmark, and there hand-rendered typography department. I can imagine myself working there, and being really excited about it.

On the other hand, I did enjoy my experience at Barkley*Blacktop. I got to touch a lot of projects, and I was able to meet a lot of really awesome people. The space alone is inspiring. I also can see myself at Willoughby, because there design work seems to be right up my alley. I also love their space.

I plan on working for a couple of years to gain experience, and will then start looking into graduate school. I am not sure what school yet, but I feel that doing this will make me more valuable as a designer.

No comments: